Monday, April 19, 2010

Grumpy Bug


Several years ago Nickelodeon played a little short, from a book, entitled "The Grumpy Bug".  I am feeling  like a grumpy bug today. Here's why:  (and please don't feel obligate to read this post, it's really just whining)

1.  Fussy baby.  Maybe he's having a grumpy bug day, too.  Or, maybe he's getting sick.  Or, maybe it's gas.  Who knows?  I wish he could just tell me.

2.  Lack of sleep.  I've gotten into this horrible schedule...feed Liam, put kids to bed, put Liam to bed, take some time for me (usually spend vegging in front of the TV).  The time for me goes way too late though.  I am so tired, and I know I should go to bed, but it seems like as soon as I go to sleep Liam will wake up to nurse.  So, I just stay up which means I don't go to bed until after midnight!?!  That's crazy, especially since I have to get up and going by 6:45 at the absolute latest (and don't forget a feeding in there, and Liam usually wakes up around 6-sometimes goes back to sleep sometimes not).  I'm perma-tired.  

3.  Uncoordinated morning schedule with my husband.  I'm starting many more days grumpy the past few weeks since we've been doing family scripture study in the morning instead of the evening (when patience is at a premium and just can't last through scriptures, baths, teeth, pjs, bed).  This seems like the opposite should be happening, and it's true-starting the day with scriptures is great, however, it is the race to the shower that's frustrating.  For example, today - I ended up having to go without shower, got myself all ready, went downstairs and Tom said he would take the kids to school...great, but had I known I had more time I would have taken a shower, but now I already have mascara on which will just be a mess, and a waste.  Silly, right?  Whatever.  Still makes me feel grumpy.  I've talked about needing to improve this daily situation...someone has to get up and shower before scriptures. (However, due to #2, it is difficult for both of us.)

4.  Laundry is never ending.  I've come up with a new system for sorting and doing laundry continually throughout the week.  However, this makes me feel like it's never done.  Some days I don't mind, and some days I do.  Kinda like other daily chores...dishes, dinner, etc.

5.  The perfect shade of pink.  We bought some furniture for Ellie's room, it will be delivered Wednesday.  I have been trying to find the right color to paint her new room, it would be so great if I could get it done before the furniture arrives, and I still think I could knock it out in the next two days - if only I could chose the paint color!  The problem is, the shade I think looks the best with the woodwork, is not the shade I like the best.  There is one more color I could try (I've already brought home three paint to go buckets).  Is it a waste to try one more, or should I just choose the one? 

6.  I'm a procrastinator.  I always have been, but that doesn't make it okay.  In fact, I find it depressing that I haven't kicked the bad habit yet.  I think my problem lies in my lack of list making.  I used to make so many lists, then they would just build up and become way to unbearable.  So, now I do less lists, which is good, except for when I keep putting off things I need to do...half procrastinating, half forgetting.  I've got some phone calls I've been meaning to do for days...

7.  I hate phone calls.  There are few people I don't mind talking to on the phone.  For everyone else, there are always awkward pauses.  Or bits of conversation that my phone, or just my ear, doesn't catch, and then either I have to ask someone to repeat themselves or just try to fake it along in the conversation.  Not to mention the 'thinking on your feet', and not being able to see the visual feedback of what you are saying.  I love email, facebook, and online ordering.  

8.  Guests.  I invited some friends for lunch tomorrow, which will be nice.  But, I stress way too much about the menu, and the house being clean-although I'm getting much better at relaxing on the clean house thing.

9.  I LOATH OUR DOG!!!!  The weekend is good-the kids and Tom are around to deal with the dog, but now I'm back to being 'in charge' and I hate it.  Really, how has this dog lasted this long?  I can't stand him.  In and out (a dog door would help-but we don't have a place to put one), barking, nosing the kids when they have food, constantly trying to escape out the front door.  Not to mention the naughty chewing-usually a stuffed animal or doll (which really makes me mad), or maybe something out of the recycling bin-although that is typically in the backyard, so I don't care so much.  This morning was a poopy diaper he got out of the baby's garbage.  Argh.  Stupid dog.

Okay, I'm gonna take my ornery, unshowered self to the grocery store and Sams Club for a couple of quick items.  Maybe getting out of the house and watching Ellie on the penny horse will help me find some happiness today.  I need to get to that part of the story where the grumpy bug laughs and then people want to be around him.  

Sorry to be so grumpy.

UPDATE (2:03pm):  Feeling much better...got some errands done and cookies in the oven. :)  Fresh baked cookies make just about everything a little better.  Mmmmm.  Getting back into the weekly routine-just another manic Monday.

6 comments:

Charlene said...

If you need any help, I'm here for you!!!! Have you thought about Lisa's idea about taking care of the dog? :)

Painting a room can be so stressful. It makes the room. I painted my whole kitchen three times before I finally settled on a color I like. A friend of mine, buys those little paint cans and paints a section of her wall and lets it sit there for awhile to see if she would like it or not.
The beauty about blogs is the reality that you are not alone and that others may feel the same way as you do or gives you words of encouragement.
My name is Charlene and I am a procrastinator. I don't do lists, because often times I lose the lists. I too, have not overcome this habit, but I'm at least heading in the right direction. I try to accomplish two things daily and happy that it's two less things to worry about!
You are not alone and everyone is entitled to a grumpy day now and again. What's more important is that you are a fabulous mom to your five kids, a great wife to your hubby, and a fabulous friend to be with!! Hang in there!!

Christi said...

Thanks Charlene! (Hey, I need your blog link.) And, it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with the lifelong battle against procrastinating.

Brenny said...

It feels like I am more and more of a grump lately, too. There are so many things I would like to address on your list, but a phone call would be better. WAIT, that is on your list, too. :) Actually, I have been meaning to call you to say hello and chat. Do you guys have plans to head west this summer?

Totally read "Before I Fall" but be warned that Chapter 4 is a bit rough. Have a great time with your friend lunch. We'll talk to you soon!

The Hunts said...

Oh Christi! If you only knew how familiar ALL of that sounds to me! It actually made me feel better to read, like I had someone to commiserate with... Hope you're feeling better today!

Kevin & Rhiannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin & Rhiannon said...

What are you talking about Christi, I thought you were perfect.;) No, seriously that's why I think you are the best mom--because you are normal and stress like the rest of us, but you still can pull it off. You love your family and they know that. That's all that matters. If it helps, I hate Champ too. :)